Well, not only have I just caught up on all the posts I should have been making this week, but I’ve also been testing some different weblog software.
Losing it has been runing on Movable Type since I started it earlier this year. I’ve had a lot of fun learning the package, tweaking it, editing templates, and so on. I’ve been testing the new version 3 on another site. Now to get the best out of version 3, and the soon to be released 3.1, I’d have to rethink some elements of the site, and probably redo a few things. I’d been pondering that when a message I read somewhere or other led me over to WordPress, an open source project based on PHP and MySQL. I’d looked at it briefly some time ago, but hadn’t actually tried to do anything with it. This time, for some reason or other, I decided to give it a try. Installed it on my test site, imported all the entries from here and started to play.
Well, just a day later, I’m impressed. The posting interface is easier to use than MT, I’ve found an Amazon plugin that does suitably clever stuff, and because it’s all dynamically created by PHP I don’t have to wait for the site to rebuild every time I change something.
So, decision made. Losing it is going to move to WordPress. The change will happen over the next few days. Regular readers probably won’t notice much difference in how the site looks, but I’ll be happier with its workings.
 The footnote reference after the name isn’t a reference to a footnote in this post
 Not giving a link to it, as it’s up and down a lot, depending on what I’m testing
 Hangovers make my brain do unexpected things
 Interestingly, the import worked perfectly the first time. When importing entries into Movable Type 3.x, this was less reliable…
 Bank Holiday weekend – just the time for redoing the website :grin