Daily Archives: Thursday, 1st May 2008

Mozy for Mac – Out of Beta

Following on from my last Mozy report, it’s still happily backing up my stuff without causing me any trouble at all.

Mac users who are more reluctant than I am to use beta software might like to know that it’s now at an actual release version – 1.0.0.0! The automagic update feature that was introduced in one of the betas did its stuff today. Well, almost. It updated the software, but didn’t manage to restart the status thingy that shows what’s going on. I actually noticed that it was missing, went into my Applications folder to restart it, and noticed that it had a timestamp indicating it had been updated today, but didn’t quite register that it had been upgraded until I saw a report on Macworld.

I’m still happy with what it’s doing, and my confidence in Mozy was increased further by this story on The Register about them expanding into more data centres. Good stuff.

Weight Report – 1 May 2008

This is getting quite bizarre. My weight has been bouncing more than Tigger this week! Yes, back up again today.

No walking, extra stuff at lunch again, etc. Tut tut.

Maybe I’ll persuade myself to do better after the long weekend. We shall see.

A Minor Rearrangement

Regular readers of the non-RSS persuasion may have noticed that I’ve made a few little changes to the main page of the site. I’ve taken the fancy header out in favour of some plain text, and taken some stuff out of the sidebars.

This is a step towards the next proper rearrangement, which might appear at some point. I nearly did it a few weeks ago, but the version I was working out crashed and burned in a suitably messy way when viewed with Internet Explorer 6. Now IE6 is a very old and very nasty thing, but a lot of people are still using it – around 20% of all visitors to Losing it[1] appear to have it. In some cases they’ll be on older machines, or on work machines that haven’t been upgraded to IE7 yet, which means they don’t necessarily have the power to switch to something else. Not wanting to upset readers, or to tell them which browser to use, I backed off from that, and I’ve now removed the last bit of IE oddness. I’ve been checking the site on IE6 and it now looks more or less as it should, albeit with some headings being a bit bigger than I planned them to be, but that’s a very minor issue.