Daily Archives: Friday, 2nd May 2008

I Think That Will Do For Now

As you might have noticed, I’ve been rearranging the furniture again. I’ve gone back to a single sidebar on the left, which has a lot less stuff in it. I’ve also decided to stay with the simplified header, and trimmed out some other bits here and there. In the process, I’ve reduced the huge number of plugins in use to a merely large number.

Most of this won’t make any difference to most readers, but it might make pages load just a wee bit quicker.

WPG2 v3.0.5

On Monday, I mentioned that I’d installed a late beta of WPG2 3.0.5, without which I couldn’t have upgraded to WordPress 2.5.1. Well, I could have waited a couple of days, because after a last round of testing and bug bashing, the final release is officially out. I upgraded last night and found that the minor issues I’d had with the beta went away.

The formatting oddness I mentioned was due to a small coding error rather than my funky formatting, which meant that I didn’t have to do any work to fix it. :bouncy:

The thing with the extra page being generated didn’t happen this time – apparently it shouldn’t happen if you remember to deactivate before upgrading. I thought I had done that last time, but it’s quite possible I forgot. This time, I did deactivate the plugin and found that it did indeed automgically delete the output page on its way out. And when I activated the new version, the page was created correctly.

The missing relative path thingy was there this time. Whether it had stored the value in the database or just managed to get it right this time, I don’t know, but either way, I didn’t have to do anything else other than turn Gallery rewrites back on, so the albums get nice friendly links rather than long, cryptic ones full of serial numbers and the like.

Full details with links to documentation and support are available from the WPG2 site, or you can just grab it from the official WordPress Plugin Directory.

This version is for WordPress 2.5.x only, and you’ll need Gallery version 2.2 or above.

So long, and thanks for all the titles

I’ve been using the Optimal Title plugin for a few years now – it was written to change the normal behaviour of how WordPress generates the page title. That’s the title that appears on the title bar of your browser window, or in search engine results, not the title of a post as displayed on the page, you understand.

The way WordPress liked to do it was like this:

Losing it[1] » Title of the post

Which puts the more specific information later in the link, which search engines tend not to like. It also looks messy for people reading results from Google[1]. It also defaults to that funny » thingy as a separator. I think one of the core developers must like »s, as I seem to recall them being used as list markers in earlier versions of the standard theme.

Anyway, when I learned about Aaron Schaefer’s plugin, I added it to the site. And I changed the » thingy to a colon. It’s been sitting there minding its own business, been upgraded once or twice, and generally been a Good Thing. But no more! A little earlier, I was looking through the long list of active plugins on the site, and removing a few that I’m not really using, or which are a bit pointless, when I saw Optimal Title, and remembered something that I’d read in passing recently. Yes, the function of Optimal Title is included in WordPress 2.5, so the plugin is no longer needed.

Full details of how to edit your header to the new code is available from this post Aaron Schaefer made back in February:

Optimal Title Functionality Now in WordPress Core

I’ve done all that, and disabled the plugin. Readers should not notice any difference, but it’s one less little bit of code to load, which should speed things up by an imperceptible amount.

Thanks to Aaron[2] for the plugin, and for telling us how to replace it. :wave:

[1] Other search engines are available, etc…
[2] No, not that Aaron