Aha! So that’s what it was!

Regular readers will have noticed that the sidebar on this site has been a wee bit borked for a while. It happened when I stopped using a fancy plugin to open and close bits of it, and reverted to using normal widgets. In the process, I made a few changes here and there, which resulted in the sidebar stretching itself and generally breaking (on my Acer Aspire One’s little screen, it broke totally). Anyway, I looked at it, and couldn’t at the time work out which bits of the stylesheet were wrong, and I didn’t have the time, energy or mental focus to sort it out.

But this morning, fresh from that fun weekend at work, I decided to have a quick look. I used the Firefox developer’s toolbar extension to look at the CSS while I viewed the source of the generated page. And sure enough, the stylesheet had lots of stuff controlling the sidebar, but none of  it seemed to be working. Then I saw it. The sidebar is in a <div> tag. Now that’s fine. But the page was identifying this as an id (easy to spot by the # by its name) and the CSS was talking about a class (easy to spot by the . by its name). :duh: :duh: :duh:

A quick edit to the stylesheet, and order was restored….