And while I’m admitting things…

Part of the weekend work involved linking some new data switches (in temporary use on the ground floor) to the main switch (on the second floor for a few more weeks). Once those were hooked up, we hooked up the computers and phones that we’d moved to the rewired part of the office (this area is wired back to the new server room on the ground floor, while the rest of the office is still wired to the second floor for now).

I then spent a ridickerous amount of time wondering why the phones wouldn’t work. :huh: :huh:

At first, they tried getting IP addresses from the new phone system we’re deploying soon, but as those handsets don’t work with that system, that wouldn’t work. I realised that the new data switches needed a slight reconfiguration to stop the phones talking to that bit of network. I did that, which stopped them talking to the wrong system, but they then sat there saying

Oi??? Where’s my IP address? Why can’t I have some DHCP, eh???

Or words to that effect. I spent some more time scratching my head and looking at the switch configurations, and had a bit of trouble working out why the server that I’d personally switched off on the previous evening wouldn’t dish out IP addresses to the phones. :duh: :duh: :duh: :oops: :oops: :crazy: :rofl:

Once the server was running, all the phones woke up. Well, all the other ones, that is. The ones we’d moved still didn’t want to play. But that was an easy fix – it seems that when the switches were set up (not by me, I hasten to add), the phone ports were all put in the VLAN for the new phones, and not the VLAN for the old phones. A little bit of typing later, and it all worked. Woo, hoo, etc.

Please keep your laughing and general mockery to a minimum.