A big drop today, but most likely a temporary one, as the drop would seem to be related to a slight digestive issue.
Last Friday, I mentioned that I’d ordered an upgrade to Virgin Media’s 50mb broadband service. Well, so far, so good. Within minutes of completing the form, I got an email thanking me for my otder. On Saturday morning, I got an actual confirmation email, telling me that they would indeed install on my first choice of date, and that they’d send me a letter confirming my new charges. That’s just how things should work, but often don’t, so nice work there.
Another development is that 50Mb customers get a free Wireless-N router. The website suggested it would arrive after a few weeks, so I promptly forgot all about it. When I got home last night, I found a card from UPS telling me they’d tried to deliver something. Not knowing what it was, I logged on to their website and requested that they deliver the whateveritwas to the office. UPS seem to be well organised for this kind of thing, as it was delivered this morning. Nice. And it was indeed my new router.
The new one is a Netgear – I’ve generally used Linksys routers, but I was quite happy to have a look at a shiny new one. Set up was quite simple, as is generally the case with such things these days, and it’s working nicely. It has a few features the Linksys didn’t:
- Built in Dynamic DNS support. Ooooh, nice. Not that running a client on the Mac is a big deal, but it’s one less process to use resources…
- Logs!!! Yes!!! The basic Linksys doesn’t let you see what’s been trying to connect to your network. This one logs legitimate connections and attacks. And it will email the logfiles to you if you like that kind of thing. Very nice.
Now I’ve just got to wait for my shiny new cable modem to be installed….
- Is it bad to still feel hungry after a footlong spicy Italian from Subway? #
- @doctorow Lots of people don’t really know what CC is. And others are probably trying to be polite, though this fails if it uses your time. in reply to doctorow #
- Why does Twitter tools hate me? It keeps getting confused about when to post my daily thingy. I blame Twisty. #
- Nicely helpful error message: Search is currently unavailable. Please try again, either now or later. #
- I think that’ll be all for tonight… #
Powered by Twitter Tools.