This morning, I mentioned that WordPress 2.8 had escaped been released, and that I was waiting for this site to show the automagic upgrade notification. Well, I left it for quite a few hours, and nothing happened, even though the other WordPress sites I look after had long since done the deed. So, I did a bit of digging and found a suggestion that made some kind of sense.
Here’s what I tried:
- In the admin panel. I went to Tools, then Upgrade
- When I looked, it was telling me that 2.7.1 was the latest version, and there was no need to upgrade, but I could reinstall if I liked
- I clicked on the big, friendly Re-install Automatically button
- WordPress went and grabbed a fresh copy of the zip of 2.7.1 and installed it
- As soon as it had done that, the “Hey, there’s a new version” message appeared
- I accepted the option to upgrade, which worked as quickly and painlessly as I expected
I don’t know why it didn’t work without being given a slap like this. Probably random weirdness, or my general habit of twiddling and tweaking on this site more than the others. However, it did work in the end, and it was still a lot less effort than a manual install, or even using a script.
I’m posting this with suitable tags in the hope that if anyone else gooooooogles for this problem, they’ll find an answer more quickly than I did.
And remember, always have a backup. And a backup of your backup.
 Sorry, can’t remember where, I was randomly gooooogling and scanning lots of pages
 But not binging. I haven’t bung yet, and I may never get round to it
 I think that sounds better than binged