Making some changes…

For pretty much as long as I’ve been running this site, I’ve been linking to products on Amazon.co.uk[1], using a variety of methods. For a long time, I copied and pasted the code to insert a box with prices and the like. In previous themes, I had a bit of custom code to make them line up nicely, but at the moment, they tend to look like this:

Untidy?

Untidy?

More recently, I’ve used a plugin, which automagically inserts the iframe in a slightly tidier manner:

Tidier

Tidier

The only problem with that is that sometimes the page content gets mixed into the box, particularly if there’s an unordered list with bullet points. So, I decided to make a change. Given that hardly anyone clicks the links to buy things from Amazon anyway[2], I’ve moved to using just the picture, rather like this:

Much better

Much better

This still works as a link to Amazon, but does a better job of illustrating the post, which is my main reason for including the image anyway. It’ll be invisible if you’re using AdBlock, but as the only way around that would be downloading the images from Amazon, uploading them to my server and fiddling with the Amazon links, that’s the way it’ll have to stay.

The fun bit has been editing the numerous old posts with the iframe links to the new style. While I’ve been doing that, I’ve removed some links where the products are no longer available, updated others to point to current editions, and generally tidied them up a bit. And I have just 148 still to go. Shouldn’t take too long now…

[1] They like me to mention this: Les Bessant is a participant in the Amazon Europe S.à r.l. Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk
[2] This may be due to the use of AdBlock, which will stop them appearing

3 thoughts on “Making some changes…

Comments are closed.