That’s better…

Well DoneAs I mentioned yesterday morning, I ran into a slight technical difficulty when moving this site from one virtual server to another. Normally, this is a very simple process, but something a bit odd happened this time – while the site loaded as normal, any attempt to get to the page resulted in a loooooooong wait with no end result. As i didn’t have time right then to fix it, I reverted to the old server and left it until I had some more time.

My plan of attack was pretty simple – bring up a copy of the site on the new server, using a different domain name, and do some testing. The most likely cause was a plugin – I confirmed this by deactivating them all on the test site, then confirming that the Add New Post page appeared as it should. I then started reactivating plugins one by one, testing the results at each stage.

Finally, I found it – the Facebook plugin seemed to be the cause. I deactivated it, deleted it and reinstalled – as it happens there was an updated version available, but I’m not sure that had anything to do with it. This time, it all worked.

Then all I had to do was export and reimport the database again, change the DNS records again and wait. Once the site came up, deactivated and reactivated the offending plugin and all was well. Woo hoo.

Now all I have to do is catch up on the posts I’ve missed.

2 thoughts on “That’s better…

Comments are closed.