A problem with a tilt and turn window, sort of fixed

On Friday evening, I opened the tilt and turn window in my spare room to get some photographs of the moon and Venus. These didn’t work out too well thanks to some clouds, so I decided to give up and closed the window. Ah. Well, I tried to close  the window, but it decided to play silly buggers. It’s a tilt and turn thingy – if you turn the handle 90 degrees, it tilts open, hinging from the bottom edge, enough for ventilation. If you close it again and turn the handle to 180 degrees from its original position, it opens from the side so you can swing it wide – ideal for taking photographs of the sky. Well, as I started to close it, it decided to tilt and turn at the same time, which is definitely not right. The handle got as far as the “tilt” position and stuck, and it totally failed to completely close.

I managed to push it into position as a temporary measure before doing some research. Looking into tilt and turn window problems turned up a lot of suggestions referring to a bit of plastic or metal (a mishandling device, apparently) that needed to be pushed to reset the mechanism, but I didn’t seem to have anything like that.

I decided to leave it for the next morning. Overnight, the window blew open, so I bodged a temporary fix by piling up some heavy boxes so the top one pressed agains the window. This should have kept it closed against all but the wildest wind…

Looking at it again in daylight (somewhat easier, you know…) confirmed that there was no sign of a mishandling device, and that it felt like the window had dropped slightly, so that the left side was slightly low. No amount of attempting to lift it as I closed it made any difference, so I did another search, which turned up this mind-bogglingly helpful video:

Sure enough, looking at the bottom left metal thingy confirmed that the problem was that the window had dropped slightly. Looks like it’s been tight previously, but has now dropped enough to not be able to get the pin (or whatever it’s called) into the slot. I removed the piece in question (easy screwdriver job, so I managed it without damaging anything) and I could then close the window and not have to prop it closed with a pile of heavy boxes any more.

This is the bit in question:

Hmmmm

Hmmmm

Camera X-T1
Aperture ƒ/5
Shutter speed 1/40s
Focal length 60mm
ISO 6400
Taken 09:22, 22 February, 2015

You can see that it’s had a bit of wear. Or perhaps a closer view would help:

Evidence of droppage

Evidence of droppage

Camera X-T1
Aperture ƒ/5
Shutter speed 1/40s
Focal length 60mm
ISO 6400
Taken 09:22, 22 February, 2015

I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be like that. Anyway, the window is now properly closed if lacking a bit of metal. I’ll be getting someone to look at it and get the droppage attended to, but at least I can do that when it’s convenient rather than having to get an emergency repair..