Random notes on being in hospital

Right up until the current unpleasantness, I’ve never had cause to spend much time in hospital. I don’t think I’d ever been an inpatient for more than a couple of nights previously, so the last week was a whole new experience for me.

I was in a “Bay”, which in this instance is a room with six beds located off the main corridor of the ward. After a few days, I was moved into the next bay, as the one I had been in needed to be reassigned for some female patients. Each bay has its own toilet and shower.

Each bed comes with a TV on an angled arm, but if you want to watch it, you have to pay, and I really couldn’t be bothered, so I didn’t even look at it.

The hospital provides free WiFi, which was actually more than adequate for my iPad to keep me up to date with everything I wanted to be up to date with. This was good, because my phone wasn’t getting a good enough signal to make it useful as a hotspot.

Hospital beds are small. Big enough to sleep in, but not really comfortable if you’re trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in with a tube up your nose and leading over to a stand. After a night or two, I found that raising the head of the bed and sleeping in a near seated position was the best option.

It’s loud. Patients being brought in or moved at any hour of day or night, staff moving about, alarms going off, and well, people. Now I have to admit being the source of some noise myself, as I generally do some coughing and spitting several times a night, but that was nothing next to the guy who was in the next bed to me for several nights.

He was elderly (I think I heard someone mention that he was in his 90s), and was described as “confused” – didn’t know where he was even after being told. But the problem was that he did a lot of shouting. On his first morning, he started shouting for someone to bring him his pants, as he was going to be late. And he continued to be intermittently shouty throughout, often having one-sided conversations late at night, leading to me getting even less sleep. But hey, never mind, I survived…

The staff – nurses, doctors, and all the other people who make things work (delivering food[1], keeping the place clean and so on) were all quite lovely – I was always treated with kindness and courtesy.

Oh, and the RVI is seriously big. Getting from one end to the other is a major expedition (take supplies, a map and a sleeping bag in case you get lost).

[1] Shame I couldn’t eat it. It’s amazing how desirable toast and cornflakes are when you can’t have them…

3 thoughts on “Random notes on being in hospital

  1. John Etie

    Your hospital stay sounds much like the one I had 6 years ago. So unpleasant I lied to the doctors and nurses about my condition so that they would send me home. I think that in the U.S. rooms need to be private on order to have privacy regarding you records.

    Anyway I hope you are allowed to go home soon. You will likely feel better immediately.

  2. RobertH

    After the few times I’ve been I know to carry foam earplugs (and maybe a sleep mask). Though with the shout-y guy next to you that may not have been enough.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.